- April 8-9, 2013: Access 17 Asia/Pacific Markets in 2 Days! – Los Angeles, CA
- April 9-10, 2013: Dominican Republic Reverse Trade Mission – Miami, Florida
- April 11-14, 2013: Automechanika Istanbul 2013 – Istanbul, Turkey
- April 15-17, 2013: The London Book Fair
- April 23-24, 2013: Access the Western Hemisphere Conference – Minneapolis
- April 23-24, 2013: Mexico Health IT Business Development Conference – Mexico City, Mexico
- May 1-2, 2013: ACCESS Africa, Middle East, & South Asia 2013 International Trade Forum – San Diego, CA
- May 6-8, 2013: Procurement Seminar Series at 2013 Offshore Technology Conference – Houston
- May 7, 2013: Global Market Insight Program at 2013 Offshore Technology Conference – Houston
- May 8-11, 2013: Automechanika Johannesburg 2013 – Johannesburg, South Africa
- May 9-17, 2013 – Tradewinds Asia Business Development Conference and Trade Mission – Seoul, Korea and North Asia
- May 16-19, 2013: U.S. Pavilion at Book World Prague
- May 22-25, 2013: Expografica 2013, Guadalajara, Mexico
- June 4-5, 2013: Gateway to Europe Conference – Minneapolis
- June 4-6, 2013: Canada Green Building Council National Conference and Expo 2013 – Vancouver, B.C.
Category Archives: Develop
- May 11-18, 2013: New Market Opportunities in China at China Print 2013 – Beijing
- May 12-18, 2013: Infrastructure Mission to Brazil, Colombia, & Panama
- May 21-24, 2013: HOSPITALAR 2013 Medical Trade Mission to Sao Paulo, Brazil
- June 3-7, 2013: Healthcare Trade Mission to Russia
- June 8-15, 2013: Consumer Goods Mission with Matchmaking Appointments – Shanghai, Zhejiang & Beijing, China
- April 10, 2013: Doing Business in Africa: Looking to South Africa- A New Frontier for Business – Chicago
- April 12, 2013: India Rail Sector Modernization – Business Briefing – Chicago
- April 19, 2013: Taiwan – Opportunities in Clean Energy, Tourism, Food, ICT & Biotech – Chicago
- April 23, 2013: International Regulatory Approvals Roundtable – Oak Brook, IL
- April 25, 2013 – Business Opportunities for U.S. Companies in the Middle East & North Africa – Chicago
- April 25, 2013 @ 12pm CST: How to Break Into Foreign Military Sales (FMS) -Webinar
- April 30, 2013: Architects Working Abroad in India–Pros, Cons, & Ways Forward – Chicago
- May 6-7, 2013: Individual Market Assessments at Windpower 2013 – McCormick Place, Chicago
- May 14, 2013: Individual Market Assessments at Electric Power 2013 – Rosemont Convention Center
- May 18-21, 2013: U.S. Commercial Service at NRA Show – McCormick Place, Chicago
- May 15-16, 2013: Automated Export Compliance AESPcLink Training – Glen Ellyn, IL
- June 4, 2013: Made in America – Growing Strong Businesses – Glen Ellyn, IL
This two hour workshop introduces you to the steps required to create your business, the vital questions you need to answer as you plan your new venture, and the basics of small business financing.
All Seminars are FREE (normally $10) due to the participation of the City of Markham.
City of Markham 16313 South Kedzie Parkway, Markham, IL
Veterans Fast Launch Initiative
SCORE is committed to helping veterans, service members and their families looking to start and grow small businesses with significant, long term success. SCORE provides advice, training programs, and long term mentors for the life of any small business – no matter the stage.
We have an initiative that is targeted to assist members of our military (active duty, reserves, and National Guard) and all veterans and their immediate family members with many unique special offers. This program, sponsored by The Walmart Foundation, is called the Veteran Fast Launch Initiative. It provides:
- Scholarships to take SCORE workshops for FREE. Click here to apply.
- SCORE’s mentoring program where Veteran Fast Launch participants are assigned a highly experienced mentor to guide them every step of the way.
- FREE or significantly discounted resources for starting businesses, such as computer software and business services (provided by major corporate partners). Click here for more information
Thursday, April 12, 2012
Rich East High School Auditorium
300 Sauk Trail, Park Forest, IL
District 227 Finalists:
Jessica Jade Outland-Thornton- Rich Central High School
Rochelle Jones- Rich South High School
Destini Askew- Rich South High School
A Panel of 5 Esteemed Business Leaders Will Evaluate Each Business Proposal
Plans Will be Presented Before a Live Audience – Please Come Out and Support our Students!
The Winner Will Receive:
$500 Towards Business Start-up Costs
Donated by GSU CenterPoint
In conjunction with Regional Development Consultant, Elliott Johnson
All Finalists win a trip to the 17th Annual Black Enterprise Entrepreneurs Conference & Expo at the Hilton Chicago, May 23-26
Donated by the Business Advisory Council
Please join us for the Announcement of the Winner and Recognition of all Finalists during the Board of Education meeting on Tuesday, April 17th, 2012 at 7:30pm in the Rich East Auditorium
U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) Ron Kirk announced today that the U.S.- Korea trade agreement will enter into force on March 15, 2012. Over President’s Day weekend, U.S. and Korean officials completed their review of each other’s laws and regulations relating to the implementation of the agreement and exchanged diplomatic notes. The diplomatic notes confirmed that each side had completed their legal requirements and procedures for the agreement’s entry into force.
According to the Office of the USTR, almost 80 percent of U.S. exports of industrial products to Korea will become duty-free when the U.S.-Korea trade agreement takes effect on March 15th. These products include aerospace equipment, agricultural equipment, auto parts, building products, chemicals, consumer goods, electrical equipment, environmental goods, all footwear and travel goods, paper products, scientific equipment, and shipping and transportation equipment. Furthermore, nearly two-thirds of U.S. exports of agricultural products to Korea will become duty-free on March 15th, including wheat, corn, soybeans for crushing, whey for feed use, hides and skins, cotton, cherries, pistachios, almonds, orange juice, grape juice, and wine.
The SBA Emerging Leaders (e200) initiative is an executive entrepreneur training program, sponsored annually by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). For the 5th Chicago e200 class, they will enroll 17 Chicago area businesses with high growth potential to participate in the initiative. The 2012 e200 class will commence in mid April 2012. The core of the e200 initiative is 100+ hours of advanced business training. 2012 e200 cosponsors will provide business development assistance to enrolled firms. The 2012 Chicago Emerging Leaders e200 cosponsors include the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity, Illinois Small Business Development Center and SCORE Chicago.
The criteria for firms seeking to enroll in the 2012 e200 class are:
- to be actively operating for at least 3 years,
- to have annual revenues of at least $400,000, and
- located in the Chicagoland area.
Seeking to enroll small businesses in various industries including:
- Advanced telecommunication
- Film, video and interactive media services
- Health services support and supply
- Hospitality, tourism, entertainment, restaurants
- Light manufacturing
- Logistics, transportation and distribution
- Professional services
- Sustainable green industries – alternative energy and recycling
If you are interested in enrolling your firm for this unique executive entrepreneurship training program and meet the criteria for participation, complete the 2012 Emerging Leaders e200 expression of interest form and submit that form to the SBA Illinois District Office in Chicago.
Competitive enrollment for the summer 2012 class at Excelerate Labs begins today and runs through March 16th. Excelerate is an incubator/investor/advisor that helps you launch your digital business quickly and smartly. They are highly selective- only the most promising 10 founding groups are selected to go through the intensive 13-week program and allowed to utilize the vast resources of Excelerate and its well-connected and very experienced mentors.
Go to http://exceleratelabs.com/ for more info and to apply.
I just read a very interesting book that I recommend adding to your business bookshelf, whether you’re still planning a startup or you’ve been in business for a while. Randy Komisar and John Mullins, both serial entrepreneurs and business school faculty, recently released Getting to Plan B.
Recent economic data points to a recovery that is either sputtering or at least not progressing the way past post-recession recoveries have. How are you preparing?
If you’ve come out the recent recession relatively strong, you may see this as another opportunity to increase your competitive position against weaker competitors. Expansion – either internally or by purchasing available operations- at lower price points might be a great strategy if you have the wherewithal to make it through to the other side. If there is excess capacity in the market, you may be able to drive weaker operators out by using your war chest to compete temporarily on price. Buying business in this way may push shaky competitors to the brink, leaving you at least temporarily to dominate.